As of 8:45 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 28, DTE media relations said that around 3,000 households in the city of Ann Arbor were out of power, due to damage from high winds. Based on the PDF map file that is updated every 30 minutes, the majority of households out of power are located east of Main Street generally in the 48104 zipcode.
In the whole DTE region, the utility said around 700 workers are on the job restoring power and that by tomorrow an additional 300 workers from Indiana would arrive, putting over 1,000 people on task. DTE indicated that there would be no incompatibilities of equipment that would cause crews from Indiana to experience delays in deployment. They would “hit the ground running.”
Work is focused on circuits serving the highest number of households. A single circuit can serve anywhere from 50 to over 1,000 households. Circuits do not necessarily align perfectly with geographic areas.
We will update information on estimated times for restoration of power as it becomes available. Check also Ed Vielmetti’s site for possible updates.
Update (Sunday, Dec. 28, 10:21 p.m.): According to DTE spokesman Scott Simons, 90% of DTE customers currently without power are expected to have service restored by late Wednesday, with the remaining 10% to be restored by Thursday. According to Simons there would be no further updates until 6:00 a.m. Monday morning.
Reached by phone, neither Ann Arbor Police command nor Washtenaw County’s chapter of the American Red Cross had any information about possible locations set up as emergency shelters for those without power.
Update (Monday, Dec. 29, 7:05 a.m.): According to DTE media relations, all but 23 customers in Ann Arbor have had their power restored. In Ypsilanti, one customer is still without power, and in Ypsilanti Township, 15 are still waiting for power. Revised estimate for 90% restoration is late Tuesday, Dec. 30. DTE says that the PDF map file data lag somewhat behind the freshest numbers available to them.
Update (Monday, Dec. 29, 9:08 a.m.): Based on the number of people without power we’d heard from in Ann Arbor who are still without power, we viewed the report of 23 in the city of Ann Arbor with some skepticism. A follow up phone call confirmed that the skepticism was warranted. Still without power are 3300 Ann Arborites and 400 Ypsilantians. Numbers for Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti townships are 250 and 470, respectively.