A major renovation at the University of Michigan’s North Campus Research Complex – costing an estimated $17.5 million – was approved by regents at their Nov. 15, 2012 meeting. The project will cover about 68,000-square-feet in the east wing of Building 20, which was originally constructed in 1956. The site is within the former Pfizer campus, purchased by UM in 2009. Tim Slottow, the university’s chief financial officer, told regents that this work had been anticipated when the university acquired the complex.
As described in a staff memo, the renovation will upgrade the area to be used for interdisciplinary biomedical research. The project will be funded with UM Medical School resources and designed by SmithGroupJJR. It’s estimated that about 40 on-site construction jobs will result from this project, which is expected to be completed by the winter of 2014.
This report was filed from the Anderson Room at the Michigan Union on UM’s central campus in Ann Arbor, where the regents held their November meeting.