The Ann Arbor Public School (AAPS) board of education has released dates for community dialogue meetings on the budget for fiscal year 2014. In a release from the district, the trustees indicated they would like community input to develop the principles they should follow in making cuts and strategies to lessen the need for such cuts in the future. The district must cut $17 to 20 million from the general operating budget in the coming year.
The budget dialogue meetings will be structured differently from the forums that have been held in previous years – to allow for more open conversation. Several board members will be in attendance at each meeting to engage in conversation with the community. Conversation topics will depend on the interests and questions of the attendees. Board members anticipate those topics could include:
- Potential measures to increase AAPS resources
- Ideas for improved practices in AAPS
- Discussion of respective value of various programs and services
- Ideas for measures that would lessen the negative consequences of budget cuts
Community Dialogue Meeting Schedule
- March 28, Thursday, 7-9 p.m. Clague Middle School, Media Center 2616 Nixon Road, Ann Arbor. Board members expected to attend: Andy Thomas, Glenn Nelson, Deb Mexicotte
- April 9, Tuesday, 7–9 p.m. Slauson Middle School, Media Center at 1019 West Washington St., Ann Arbor. Board members expected to attend: Christine Stead, Glenn Nelson, Deb Mexicotte
- April 16, Tuesday, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Downtown Ann Arbor Public Library in 4th floor Conference Room (A) 343 South Fifth Ave. Ann Arbor. Board members expected to attend: Irene Patalan, Glenn Nelson, Deb Mexicotte
- April 20, Saturday, 9-11 a.m. Scarlett Middle School, Media Center 3300 Lorraine St., Ann Arbor. Board members expected to attend: Susan Baskett, Glenn Nelson, Deb Mexicotte
Additional community forums will be scheduled in early May to discuss the draft AAPS budget for 2013-2014.