Comments on: AAATA: Ypsilanti Township Boards Bus it's like being there Tue, 16 Sep 2014 04:56:38 +0000 hourly 1 By: Vivienne Armentrout Vivienne Armentrout Fri, 04 Oct 2013 21:58:42 +0000 In my comments, I remarked upon the uncertainty posed by the impending Federal shutdown.

Now that this is a reality, I suggest that all parties should move even more cautiously in allocating resources to expansion. According to information published by the Department of Transportation, essentially the entire Federal Transit Administration has been furloughed (501 of 529 employees).

As I read it, this will severely impact AAATA’s activities and funding stream. Though some of the Federal support for local transit comes from the gas tax and is therefore not affected, the employees who administer it are not on the job. A couple of quotes:

“FTA customarily reimburses transit agencies for ongoing operations and construction projects to enable them to provide transit services and pay employees and contractors. October is typically a month where grantees request substantial reimbursements. In October of FY 2013 payments averaged about $200 million per week.”

“FTA has sufficient liquidating cash. However, FTA would not outlay funds because appropriations would not be available to pay the salaries of staff executing payments.”

By: Vivienne Armentrout Vivienne Armentrout Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:57:34 +0000 Regarding my comments about the Ypsilanti Township lawsuit against Washtenaw County, here is a link to the Chronicle’s coverage of the settlement. [link]

“The bulk of the recommended payment – $732,927 – will come from Ypsilanti Township”

“County representatives previously indicated they were seeking around $2 million. The county is not seeking payment for its legal expenses related to the lawsuit, which are estimated to be just over $1 million.”

So the County lost both in expected revenue and in legal costs. Also, the time and effort expended by county officials, including commissioners, was not inconsiderable.

As indicated by the Chronicle’s coverage, the lawsuit was initiated in 2006 and settled in 2011 after a number of appeals.