Contracts related to Ann Arbor’s annual sidewalk maintenance and repair program, as well as for the annual street resurfacing program, have been approved in action taken by the city council at its April 7, 2014 meeting.
The sidewalk repair program is funded out of a five-year millage approved by voters in November 2011.
Some sidewalk slabs are in reasonably good shape but are out of alignment with adjacent slabs. The city takes the approach of shaving the portion that’s out of alignment so that it’s flush.
Cutting the concrete is more cost effective than replacing the entire slab. The contract for the cutting work for the upcoming 2014 program was awarded to Precision Concrete Cutting for $207,350.
The other part of the program involves outright replacement of sidewalk slabs.
That contract with Doan Construction Company for $1,707,037 was also approved by the council at its April 7 meeting.
In addition to an annual sidewalk repair program, the city manages an annual street resurfacing program. Also on April 7, the council approved a construction contract with Barrett Paving Materials Inc. for $3.409 million for the 2014 program. Also approved was a contract for materials testing – with CTI and Associates Inc. for $82,332.
Text descriptions of the streets to be resurfaced are as follows:
- Washington: First St to Fourth Ave (April – May)
- Fuller: Maiden Lane to Huron River Bridge (May – June)
- Newport: Sunset to south of Bird Rd (June – July)
- Linwood:, Doty to Wildwood (April – May)
- Northside Grill Alley: Broadway to End (April – May)
- Vinewood: Berkshire to Avon (May – June)
- Steeplechase: Whiltshire to Blaney (June – July)
- St. Aubin: Platt to Creek Dr (June – July)
- Woodbury: Astor to Stadium (July – July)
- Prairie: Plymouth to Aurora (July – August)
- Burlington Court: Burlington to End (July – August)
- Waldenwood & Adjacent Courts: Penberton to Earhart (north end) (July – September)
This brief was filed from the city council’s chambers on the second floor of city hall, located at 301 E. Huron.