GZA GeoEnvironmental has been awarded a $234,360 contract for environmental remediation work at the 2700 S. Industrial Highway headquarters of the Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority.
The need for the work dates back four years to 2010, when an in-ground gasoline leak was discovered during an upgrade to the fuel tank monitoring system.
The AAATA board approved the contract with GZA at its July 24, 2014 board meeting.
The $25,000 insurance deductible through Chartis, the AAATA’s insurance company, has already been paid through previous work associated with this contamination. The current work – up to the $234,360 amount of the contract – will be reimbursed by Chartis for the total project price.
The work includes the following:
- Installation of new monitoring wells.
- Perform baseline groundwater sampling.
- Chemical analysis of groundwater samples.
- Anaerobic biodegradation bench scale study.
- Soil and dewatering excavation.
- Collection of excavation verification of soil remediation sampling.
- Introduction of selected bioremediation enhancement materials.
- Backfill restoration and concrete replacement.
- Groundwater sampling (will occur a year after remediation activities has been completed).
- Completed summary report that will be filed with MDEQ for satisfactory closure of incident.
This brief was filed from the downtown location of the Ann Arbor District Library at 343 S. Fifth Ave., where the AAATA board holds its meetings.