The Ann Arbor planning commission has granted a special exception use to the Community Music School of Ann Arbor to operate at 1289 Jewett Ave., between South Industrial and Packard. The decision – made at the commission’s Aug. 19, 2014 meeting – allows the private music school to use the Clonlara School building with a maximum of 150 students at any time.
Clonlara School is located in a district zoned R1B (single family dwelling), which permits private schools if given a special exception use approval. That school already has a special exception use to operate with a maximum of 150 students. No changes are planned for the exterior of Clonlara’s 16,900-square-foot, single-story building.
The music school will primarily use the facility on weekdays from 3:30-9 p.m., on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and on occasional Sunday afternoons. On average, 25-30 students will come in for lessons each day.
Clonlara School’s 2.46-acre site includes 22 parking spaces in a parking lot off Jewett Avenue, plus three spaces behind a rental house located north of the school building. A one-way drive runs north from Jewett to Rosewood Street.
Two people spoke during the public hearing: Kasia Bielak-Hoops, executive director of the Community Music School (formerly the Ann Arbor School for the Performing Arts); and Martha Rhodes, Clonlara’s campus director. They both supported the special exception use.
This brief was filed from the second floor council chambers at city hall, 301 E. Huron. A more detailed report will follow.