The Washtenaw County office of community & economic development and the Washtenaw Housing Alliance are seeking suggestions for sites that can be used during the upcoming winter months as warming spaces for the homeless.
In a press release issued on Aug. 22, the OCED described a list of specifications needed for these sites [.pdf of press release]:
- Include a single room to accommodate approximately 50 adults lying down on thick mats (approximately 1,500 square feet)
- Be accessible to limited-mobility individuals
- Have multiple, accessible bathrooms on site
- Ideally equipped with showers and/or a kitchen prep space
- Space should be available every night of the week (roughly 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.) minimally from January 1 to March 31, 2015 – with potential to begin earlier than …