1. July 28, 2009 at 8:49 pm | permalink

    Indication of heartrot, I’m afraid.

    A Polyphorus (wood-rotting fungus that doesn’t attack living tissue).

    Yes- I’m a plant pathologist and mycologist.

  2. By KGS
    July 29, 2009 at 1:48 pm | permalink

    but Vivienne – is it edible? because if so, I think I just found dinner… ;-)

  3. July 29, 2009 at 2:36 pm | permalink

    The polypores are generally safe but not all are good to eat. Since I made a claim to expert status, too bad I didn’t spell it correctly (Polyporus). If it’s the one I think it is, you’ll find it to be woody and tasteless. Some of these are wonderful, including Laetiporus sulphureus (a bright yellow to orange).

    I don’t encourage people to eat mushrooms without a positive identification. If you are unfamiliar with a fungus, you should key it down using a reliable guide. My favorite is still the series by Alexander Smith and his daughter N.S. Weber. There are no “rules” for safe mushrooms.