Design for Schembechler Hall Entrance OK’d

The schematic design for a $9 million renovation to the entrance of Schembechler Hall, which will integrate the Margaret Dow Towsley Sports Museum area, was approved by the University of Michigan board of regents at its July 19, 2012 meeting. Regents had initially signed off on the overall project in January.

The building at 1200 S. State St. was constructed in 1990 for UM’s football program, and contains locker rooms, meeting rooms, medical treatment rooms, training areas, weight rooms, and administrative offices. The project will add about 7,000 square feet to the building, and renovate an additional 7,000 square feet. The main entrance will be moved to the north of the building, off of a parking lot, and will include a statue of Bo Schembechler, UM’s legendary football coach. Funding will be provided from athletic department resources.

This report was filed from the Michigan Union’s Rogel ballroom, where the board held its July meeting.